Thinking Like a Lawyer a New Introduction to Legal Reasoning Reviews

Open up Preview

See a Trouble?

We'd love your help. Let the states know what's wrong with this preview of Thinking Like a Lawyer past Frederick Schauer.

Cheers for telling us virtually the problem.

Friend Reviews

To run across what your friends thought of this volume, please sign up.

Customs Reviews

 · 217 ratings  · 15 reviews
Showtime your review of Thinking Like a Lawyer: A New Introduction to Legal Reasoning
Hong
(I only quickly skimmed over this volume in less than 5 hours.)

This book is not written for a pop audition who but wants to speculate how a lawyer thinks, but for an audience with a serious attitude towards law studies. The volume championship, "Thinking Like a Lawyer," is a bit misleading on that point. To me (not a lawyer merely with some nexus to police force), this book is not also hard to read, but I tin tell that many points would not be easily understood without any legal experience. The writing, in my opin

(I only quickly skimmed over this book in less than 5 hours.)

This book is non written for a popular audience who just wants to speculate how a lawyer thinks, simply for an audience with a serious mental attitude towards law studies. The volume title, "Thinking Similar a Lawyer," is a flake misleading on that point. To me (not a lawyer simply with some nexus to constabulary), this book is not too hard to read, but I tin can tell that many points would not exist hands understood without any legal experience. The writing, in my opinion, is a scrap prolix and can be certainly abridged. Even so, this book can exist a useful kickstarter and reference.

...more
Tycho Toothaker
A nice introduction to legal reasoning. I feel slightly more prepared to go to law school.
Peter
Mar xiii, 2012 rated it actually liked information technology
All constabulary students should exist required to read this volume at some point during police school to provide a broader context for their studies. The book provides so much more than than can be learned from the traditional instance method. The silly title still, this is not a how-to book, but a dumbo, but compact written report on the prominent features of legal reasoning (precedent, stare decisis, burden of proof, standards of review, presumption, deference, etc.) which has every bit its goal the Rule of Constabulary (sometimes a All constabulary students should be required to read this book at some betoken during law school to provide a broader context for their studies. The book provides then much more tin can be learned from the traditional case method. The dizzy title notwithstanding, this is not a how-to book, merely a dense, merely compact written report on the prominent features of legal reasoning (precedent, stare decisis, burden of proof, standards of review, presumption, deference, etc.) which has as its goal the Dominion of Police (sometimes at the expense of the right decision for the firsthand parties). Articulate prose, good examples, and with ample footnotes for further reading on specific issues. ...more than
Alexander L
Jul 08, 2020 rated it did not like information technology
This book was depressing to read.

Schauer attempts to present an impartial descriptive account of "the police," and he does that well enough. There are terms in the book, and those terms accept definitions. At first, he seems bold plenty to state that legal reasoning can lead to the wrong answer—a merits that seemed shocking to me when I outset heard of it. I expected the book to be as centre-opening as that thesis.

It was non. For Schauer seems to believe in, or at least take, the injustice of the justic

This book was depressing to read.

Schauer attempts to present an impartial descriptive business relationship of "the law," and he does that well plenty. There are terms in the book, and those terms take definitions. At first, he seems assuming enough to state that legal reasoning tin can pb to the incorrect answer—a claim that seemed shocking to me when I offset heard of it. I expected the book to be as eye-opening every bit that thesis.

It was not. For Schauer seems to believe in, or at to the lowest degree accept, the injustice of the justice arrangement. He dismisses out of hand the theory of legal realism in a page, nigh bitingly with an allusion to how law students volition certainly receive low marks on exams if they answer according to legal realism. This was used to frame an entire theory—one with a tremendous amount of evidence from political scientists much more than versed in the actual bear witness than the uppity law professors willing to dismiss such schools of thought without considering them—equally a joke.

It becomes articulate as yous read the book that Schauer does not persuade you why a organization that gets things wrong is 1 you should accept. The reason backside that is not objectivity. No, he lends substantial time to the arguments of the conservative legal tradition,
and no fourth dimension to critical theories describing the role of race and sex activity in the law. By omission, Schauer seems to tell you such theories are not part of the distinguished form of Legal Reasoning. By omission, Schauer seems to tell you lot that the way things are is the merely question worth answering, seemingly because this volume is Thinking Like a Lawyer, and Lawyers do non call up of other such things.

Mayhap I am uncharitable towards it considering of the way it was presented, and the textile does not reflect the criticism I level against information technology. If so, I will read information technology once more in time and alter this review appropriately.

...more
Kaleb
May 21, 2020 rated information technology it was astonishing
As a future law student, I loved information technology! Smashing overview of unlike aspects of legal reasoning. Gave me a good framework for understanding what information technology means to recollect like a lawyer. Intended for future police students, simply a smashing read for a person serious in learning more nearly law. The repeated utilise of understandable examples helps basis the work. I will be returning to this volume for years to come for refresher and to explore more reading offered in the excellent footnotes.
Nina
Feb 16, 2017 rated information technology actually liked it
Definitely a not bad primer for what to look in police force school. By no ways comprehensive but can there even be a comprehensive book that prepares one for law school? Doubt it. This upshot bated, the volume provided a great introduction to legalese and I would take been more than lost without information technology.
Sovi Herring
Eye opener to situations and methods, merely overall rough to read
samara
readable and good context
Andrew Kapral
This is very dense cloth and tough to read without an introduction to the legal world. If you're intent is to utilise it equally a "legal primer" while you are an upper level graduate or your summertime before law school, and so I highly encourage you to choose a different volume. The first few chapters are well written, flow nicely together, and introduced a few major cases that he uses throughout the rest of the book, and I call up that was a useful introduction, but equally the volume continues it dives downwardly into southward This is very dense material and tough to read without an introduction to the legal earth. If yous're intent is to use it as a "legal primer" while you are an upper level graduate or your summer before police force schoolhouse, then I highly encourage you to choose a different volume. The first few chapters are well written, flow nicely together, and introduced a few major cases that he uses throughout the rest of the volume, and I think that was a useful introduction, but as the book continues it dives down into some legal philosophy and becomes disjointed making it difficult to read without whatever prior legal exposure.

I volition likely reread information technology later on my kickoff semester, or first summertime (if and when I accept the time), but it is non written at the advisable level to be considered an introduction or a primer.

...more
B
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is very tough to introduce someone to "the law." What "the law's" most basic elements are is pretty disputable. Is information technology a way of thinking? A prepare of particular rules? Standards of review? The Article III judiciary? National? Transnational? Norms?

Although Schauer is talking about "legal reasoning," it seems like he is really trying to introduce the "the law." It seemed to run out of steam near the finish because the parts merely seemed more and more asunder.

Besides, while I felt similar this was some

It is very tough to introduce someone to "the law." What "the police force's" well-nigh basic elements are is pretty disputable. Is it a mode of thinking? A set of particular rules? Standards of review? The Commodity 3 judiciary? National? Transnational? Norms?

Although Schauer is talking about "legal reasoning," it seems like he is really trying to innovate the "the law." Information technology seemed to run out of steam near the terminate considering the parts just seemed more and more disconnected.

Also, while I felt like this was something I would have benefited from reading earlier, information technology is also something I'm not sure I would have understood until recently.

...more than
Thomas
I don't recall that my trunk of legal knowledge is such that I tin assess this book on a 5-point calibration. I picked it upwards for the chapter on statutory interpretation, and I establish many of its anecdotes fun simply non especially center opening. I much adopt "The Language of Law Schoolhouse" as an introduction to legal reasoning every bit distinct from other modes of enquiry and analysis. I don't think that my torso of legal knowledge is such that I can assess this book on a 5-point scale. I picked it upward for the chapter on statutory interpretation, and I found many of its anecdotes fun simply not especially centre opening. I much prefer "The Language of Constabulary School" every bit an introduction to legal reasoning as distinct from other modes of research and analysis. ...more
Alex
Jun eleven, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author provided a great caption of how lawyers, courts and administrative hearing examiners reason and render opinions. If you lot've e'er wondered how legal reasoning differs from how the lay person thinks, this is a expert primer for you. It was easy reading and non overly technical, with many interesting example law examples to illustrate salient points. The author provided a great explanation of how lawyers, courts and administrative hearing examiners reason and render opinions. If y'all've always wondered how legal reasoning differs from how the lay person thinks, this is a expert primer for you. It was easy reading and not overly technical, with many interesting example police examples to illustrate salient points. ...more
Gwenn Wright
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've only read what'south bachelor on the sample and, when the book buying moratorium ends, I will definitely buy this one. I've only read what's available on the sample and, when the book buying moratorium ends, I will definitely buy this i. ...more
Chiefmoneygripps Givens
Wish I had read this before 1L year.
Roberto Martínez Espinosa
Shemah Bin Fhaid

News & Interviews

If you lot're seeking an excellent audiobook, you lot cannot get incorrect with an award-winning recording. Luckily for u.s., each yr the Audie Awards pick...

Welcome dorsum. Just a moment while we sign y'all in to your Goodreads business relationship.

Login animation

scottpasto1951.blogspot.com

Source: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6507918-thinking-like-a-lawyer

0 Response to "Thinking Like a Lawyer a New Introduction to Legal Reasoning Reviews"

Post a Comment

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel